At Horan & McConaty, we honor our veterans by helping surviving family members obtain all the veteran benefits their loved one worked so hard to earn. If the families you serve have questions about these benefits, refer to the information below.

To be eligible, the deceased must be a veteran discharged or separated from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable, and have completed the required period of service.

U.S. Armed Forces members who die on active duty are also eligible, as are spouses and dependent children of eligible living or deceased veterans, and of current or deceased armed forces members.

Depending on eligibility, benefits may include:

  • Memorial U.S. flag to drape the casket of a veteran
  • Presidential Memorial Certificate
  • Veterans Administration headstone or marker
  • Burial at Ft. Logan National Cemetery or another VA national cemetery, including the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave and perpetual care
  • Military flag folder and presenter
  • Full military honors for those who retired from the military, were disabled as a result of military service or died while serving on active duty
  • Burial allowance for up to $2,000 if the veteran’s death is service connected

Veteran benefits are not paid automatically. It is each family’s responsibility to contact the Veterans Administration. Our knowledgeable staff can assist survivors and file the claim on their behalf.  Please call us today at (303) 745-4418.

To ensure prompt handling of the claim, the surviving family members should have the following information ready:

  • Social Security number for yourself and your dependent children
  • Certified copy of original DD214 (Enlisted Record and Report of Separation)
  • Certified copy of Death Certificate
  • Verification of the life insurance amount you will receive as a result of the veteran’s death
  • Paid receipts for hospital and doctor bills incurred by last illness, if applicable
  • Paid receipts for funeral and cemetery expenses
  • If either you or the veteran was previously married, provide a certified copy of the original divorce decree or death certificate proving the previous marriage was dissolved by divorce or death
  • If there are dependent children, you will need an original birth certificate for each child under 18 or over 18 if full-time student
  • If dependent children over 18 are still in school, you will need to fill out VA Form 21-674
  • If you or the veteran receives Social Security benefits, the exact amount must be reported
  • If you already have a VA claim number, you must furnish the claim number you have been assigned
  • If you or the veteran receives additional income, the source and exact amount must be reported

Note: This information is not intended to constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon in lieu of consultation with appropriate legal advisors or the appropriate government agencies. It is possible that the information may not be current as the laws or government policies may have changed.
© 2023 Sacred Transitions. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility